There’s been a giant ol’ brouhaha round children’ snacks to kick off the 12 months, with a Change4Life marketing campaign telling dad and mom to restrict children’ snacks to 100 energy, with a two-a-day max. Besides one essential a part of the recommendation at all times appears to be omitted within the press. It’s a rule for packaged snacks.
So when Amelia Stewart – meals author and founding father of Prepare dinner First, a approach of educating folks learn how to eat healthily in an uncomplicated approach on a decent finances – instructed to us that we share her recipe for a easy, wholesome, completely unprocessed flapjack, we jumped on the probability. It’s not only a nice different to packaged snacks – it’s additionally a enjoyable method to spend time with the children.
“These flapjacks are an effective way to get your children into cooking,” says Stewart. “Don’t fear about little fingers or creating a large number; there aren’t any knives or advanced kitchen tools concerned. This recipe additionally supplies a possibility so that you can interact your kids within the sugar debate and present them how pure fruit sugars can style simply as nice whereas being much less dangerous.”
I attempted the recipe with my three-year-old and the measuring, pouring and stirring held her consideration all through. I’ve even had a request to make them once more.
Even higher, the recipe accommodates guys like me who fall wanting home goddess standing. May’t discover jumbo oats, however boxed rolled oats labored; couldn’t discover dried apricots however a raisin combine did the job; couldn’t discover… nicely, you get the thought.
In fact you don’t have to have children to make these scrumptious flapjacks. Actually, you’ll most likely be capable to whip up a batch by your self in lower than ten minutes when you’ve run by means of the recipe a couple of instances. And also you received’t must share.
Wholesome Banana Flapjacks
Elements (Makes 12 Servings)
- 2½ cups (round 225g) jumbo oats
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 apple
- ½ cup (round 80g) blended seeds
- ½ cup (round 75g) raisins and dried apricots
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp floor ginger
- 50g butter or ½ cup (round 125ml/100g) coconut oil
- 3tbsp runny honey
- Line a small baking tray with baking paper and activate the oven to 180°C/gasoline 4.
- Measure the oats, seeds and raisins and place in a bowl. Then chop up the apricots and add them to the oat combine.
- In one other bowl, mash the 2 bananas with a fork. Then coarsely grate the apple into the bananas and add the cinnamon and floor ginger.
- Subsequent, take a saucepan and place it on a low warmth. Add the honey and butter or oil. As soon as the butter has melted, add the banana/apple combine and the oats/dried fruit combine.
- Stir nicely till the honey and butter or oil has utterly lined the fruit and oats and it’s all nicely blended.
- Pour this combination into the baking tray and flatten with the again of a spoon or spatula in order that the flapjacks would be the identical top throughout.
- Place within the oven and bake for round 30 minutes, till the highest begins to go golden brown.
- Wait till it has utterly cooled, then slice and luxuriate in!